Best practices for product cart management
For best performance, use the following guidelines to manage cart limits for Adobe Commerce and Magento Open Source:
- For versions 2.3.x - 2.4.2, allow a maximum of 100 products in a cart.
- For versions 2.4.3 and later, enhancement to sales rules capabilities increased the cart maximum to 750.
For versions 2.3.x - 2.4.2, the expected performance based on cart item limits is:
- Up to 100 products in a cart—the product works, meeting performance targets for response time.
- Up to 300 products in a cart—the product works, but response time increases above targets.
- Above 500 products in a cart—the cart and checkout flows are not guaranteed to work
Affected products and versions
All supported versions of:
- Adobe Commerce on cloud infrastructure
- Adobe Commerce on-premises
Reduce number of cart items
Use the following strategies to manage the number of cart items
- Split orders into several smaller orders with a smaller number of rows by using the Add Item by SKU feature.
- Only add the custom logic and cart customization required to load a list of items.
Potential performance impacts
Having more than the recommended maximum number of products in the cart can affect site performance in the following ways:
- Increased response time for data retrieval operations, validation of cart items, checks for applying price rules, and tax and total calculations.
- Increased response time for minicart rendering including rendering of cart views, checkout flow, and execution.
- Increased time loading time for all site pages where the minicart is present.