Configuration best practices for order processing
As the order volume increases on your Commerce sites, you can optimize checkout performance and order processing by enabling the following store configuration options:
- Asynchronous indexing—Enable this option to prevent database locks and slowed processing that can occur when large numbers of orders are placed simultaneously.
- Asynchronous email notifications—Enable this option to speed up checkout performance by sending checkout and order processing email notifications at designated intervals instead of sending them immediately.
- Enable Archiving—Enable this option to improve the performance of orders, invoices, shipments, and credit memos, and keep your workspace free of unnecessary information, so you can focus on current business. See Enable archiving.
Affected products and versions
All supported versions of:
- Adobe Commerce on cloud infrastructure
- Adobe Commerce on-premises
Enable asynchronous order processing
The steps to enable asynchronous order processing depend on the deployment mode:
For Adobe Commerce on cloud infrastructure and on-premises sites in Production mode, use the following Magento CLI command to enable asynchronous indexing:
php bin/magento config:set dev/grid/async_indexing 1
For Adobe Commerce on-premises sites in Default or Production mode, enable asynchronous indexing by updating the Grid Settings configuration in the Admin.
See Enable scheduled grid updates and reindexing
Always test configuration changes in the Staging environment before updating the Production environment.